Tuesday, June 17, 2014

In My Therapy Bag | Margaret from Your Therapy Source



Please welcome Margaret Rice, PT for this installment of In MyTherapy Bag. You may already be familiar with Margaret, as she is the brains behind Your Therapy Source, a website full of excellent resource for both therapists and parents. Today she is stopping by to share a must-have item in her physical therapy bag.

What’s in my therapy bag?


It can be hard to pick just one item as my must have in my therapy bag but I can say this item is always in my therapy bag (or at least the back of my car) - a playground ball.

 
I know it sounds boring but I am always amazed at how many therapeutic activities you can complete with a ball. Obviously, I use it for eye hand coordination skills (throwing and catching). My ball is also used to encourage bilateral coordination, motor planning, body awareness, stretching and muscle strengthening. The ball can be used with all types of children regardless of ability. I have yet to find a child who does not generate some interest in playing with a ball whether it be eye gaze or a full game of basketball.

Head on over to Your Therapy Source, to print out a free list of 15 activities to do with a ball to hand out to the children that you work with for some summer fun.

Hope everyone has a ball this summer!

Connect with Margaret Rice, PT, founder of Your Therapy Source:


Have an item in your therapy bag that you'd like to share? I'd love for you to share it in an upcoming post! Just send me an email, AbbyPediatricOT {at} gmail {dot} com for more information. Open to all therapists! You don't have to be a blogger to participate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy: