Thursday, May 10, 2012

I love making parents cry!

But only happy tears, of course!


Here's a story from a feeding therapy session last week:


I'm working with an adorable 2 1/2 year old and his amazing parents. He doesn't eat much. In fact, he primarily drinks formula from a bottle. Parents reported that he does like popsicles.

So I put my on my thinking cap and decided to freeze some Gogurt and then we'd eat "popsicles" during our session. The little boy was happy to lick his "popsicle".

After it melted and his little tongue couldn't reach down into the tube to the yogurt, Dad had a great idea, "He needs a spoon to reach it."

I ran to the clinic kitchen and grabbed a spoon. The next thing you know, he's eating yogurt (a new food!) with a spoon (a new skill!). And dad is saying, "I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen him use a spoon."

Later, when I got some of my yogurt on my finger, I showed him the yogurt on my finger and then I licked it off. He then stuck his finger into his Gogurt tube (unprompted!), and licked it off (this child does not like to touch food-another first!).


Mom and Dad were so happy, they were near tears...what a session!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy: